Friday, May 3, 2013

a hero.

my attitude towards family history has changed over the years.

initially, I was scared of it.  then I got excited about it, but was a little let-down to discover that both my maternal and paternal grandmothers had done the bulk of the work already.  (not that my family tree is filled in entirely..)  then I was kind of happy, almost relieved that the bulk of it was done, I had kids at that point, but not the time to do that kind of work.  I am at the phase where I realize there is still more work to be done, and someday, I will have the time that is necessary to do that work.  right now, I feel like my responsibility is to share these stories and histories with my girls.  they need to know where they came from and about the great legacies that have been left for them.

this layout came together so easily using liv’s newest t + mini – so blessed.  I literally changed the background paper, removed some of the more flourish-ey feminine parts, added my journaling and this AMAZING photo, and it was done!

so here’s more about my grandpa…  don’t be surprised if he and my grandma are the subjects of more layouts to come..  I love them so much!

(you can click on the layout for full credits.)

our-hero_mindypitcher

the journaling reads:

“This picture of Grandpa has to be one of my favorites.  I am so thankful to have a copy of it in my home.  I want my girls to know of the sacrifices that not only he made, but of the sacrifices that continue to be made.  Grandpa was a member of the Utah National Guard, and mustered into the Regular Army in March of 1941.  He was sent to California, to prepare to go to the Philippines, but in December of the same year, Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese.  His assignment changed.  He was sent to Washington, to train new recruits, then later sent overseas to Europe.  He fought in many battles which included Utah beach on D-Day and the Battle of the Bulge.  He was later injured in the Ruhr Valley in Germany.  He received five battle stars and was awarded the Purple Heart.  He didn’t talk of these things much.  It wasn’t something he was particularly proud of.  We are proud of him though, and thankful for not only his service, but his example in how he lived his life every day.  He will always be our hero.”

this is history that my girls need to know!  what an amazing man..   

1 comment:

Missy said...

I love it. Great job and great lesson for your girls.