Saturday, November 6, 2010

Caramel Chocolate Cupcakes.

caramel_cupcake
I cannot take credit whatsoever for these delicious treats.
My friend Emily shared this a while ago on her blog and I knew I had to try them out.
Well worth it I may say…
I did have to make an alteration, but trust me, still incredibly yummy.
I used my tried and true, but not from scratch (GASP!!) favorite box mix, and made this frosting.  Now mind you, I had no whipping cream (that smelled good, I am crazy about that), so I used a can of sweetened condensed milk instead (and licked the can clean!).  It worked out fantastically!
Caramel Frosting
1/2 cup butter or 1 stick
1/3 cup whipping cream (the real stuff)
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
melt the butter, cream and sugar in a medium pot over medium heat. The recipe said to just heat until the sugar dissolves, but I liked the results better if you heat just till boiling point, let it simmer for like 1 minute more after that..pour hot caramel in a mixing bowl, and mix on low speed for about 1 minute, then add 2 cups of powdered sugar, one at a time or the sugar will fly everywhere. Mix until smooth. The frosting will still be some what warm. That's okay. This stuff sets up really fast.
I used my uneven spatula, trying to get the tops all pretty and such, the frosting was still so warm, that It just coated, so prettily the top of each cupcake.  It was no work at all.
(My family also licked the bowl of frosting clean.)
I also had no sea salt, so I cannot testify to that particular flavor explosion, but these were oh so good!
Thanks Emily for sharing your little bit of found heaven!

1 comment:

Bits and Pieces of Me...Emily! said...

I wouldn't have thought about making it with condensed milk! I'm glad it worked out! Yeah! This is my favorite recipe so far! And thanks for your tips on your cupcake confession! :)