Friday, November 7, 2008

From the corridors of Mindy's brain...

I've been dong some thinking lately...
(Like that nice shot of my inner nose area.. I know, totally flattering...)
This whole private blogging thing...
I understand the need to go private
.. I have been kicking the idea around for a LONG time now. Off and on, the need arises. Mom was soooo worried when I was preggers with Pey that some psycho would stalk me, somehow render me senseless, and give me a totally involuntary c-section and steal my cute baby girl.
I told her that I don't post info, especially specifics, until after the event has transpired. I try not to post too much information (unless it's about my children's bowel movements, questionable language, or my sex life ;)..) like addresses, details about where I hide my huge stash of cash... etc.
I have decided, for the time being to leave my blog open. But I totally understand why a lot of you are changing...
Let me explain why I am not...
Not saying I am awesome or anything.. but I am continuously drawn to the fact of the friendships that are made or strengthened through this outlet. Ally, I wouldn't even know you if it weren't for blogging! Look at all that I would be missing? I think of how many people need other people out there, who could benefit from the examples of others. I wouldn't want to close that door, even if there's the chance that some crazy yahoos might enter through that same door. Speaking of crazy yahoos, I have crazy friends who have moved away, I wouldn't have found them, and have been able to keep in touch without blogging.
I find blogging as a way to share my testimony... first of all, to have it recorded for my kids, and my grand kids, but to have it out there for others. Hopefully the influence is for the better... there will always be negative people out there, criticism is a part of life. I have had to take some every now and then, I don't crumble when some body leaves a negative comment. I am so oblivious most times, I don't even take it the way it was meant to be taken. If I don't like what someone has to say, I can always delete the comment, and then let everyone wonder what the comment said... ;)
Another reason, to connect with others. Old friends, new friends, potential friends...
How many homemakers/mother are out there, and have a not so good day? How many find another blogging homemaker/mother that can twist it into a positive, and helps you to remember that it is just a moment? To let it go? I have found that when my kids have gotten into something, or behave in a way that makes me want to scream, I think, "This is bloggable..." and my attitude towards my child and the situation changes, for the better.
At the risk of sounding totally naive, I believe that if some sicko out there wants either my personal information, or desires to stalk me, they will find a way to get it, or to get to me ( and good luck, I'd totally kick your ass(es).. 3 brothers, who taught me well, my 9mm..). Blogs were not the beginning of this kind of activity. We just have to be careful about what we post.
I personally have no beef posting pictures of my kids. I also am aware of freaks out there who would think certain thoughts when they see how cute my girls are. I am not going to bait them, I am not going to post pictures of my kids that I would not scrapbook. Fact is, people see my kids everyday out in public, I am not going to put a brown paper sack over their heads to hide them from everyday people, some who are the sickos aforementioned... I also cannot control the thought or feelings of people. I don't stay awake at night worrying about what the checker at the store was really thinking about Ashley when she said that naughty word...
Bottom line, we are here for each other. We share our talents, feelings, inner-most thoughts, joys, hardships, memories, laughs, but most of all, we share support. I love that when I am having a hard time, I get encouragement. I love it!
I cannot privatize my blog.
There might just be someone, someday, who might just need something that I might write... maybe.

5 comments:

Rachael said...

Jesse and I have talked about it. I don't think I have anything to worry about right now. Jesse said taking our blog private would be like, closing the barn door after the horse is already out.

Tiffany said...

There are a lot of people going private all of sudden aren't there? I've been through this same debate too and you know my decision. :) We'll see how it works out. But I do have to say that I'm glad your blog wasn't private or I would have never found you again! And I love reading it.

Jessica said...

I am one of those who read your blog. I think your family is so fun and you are so funny too. You say things that inspier me. I am just one of Tiffany's sister-in-laws and I LOVE YOUR BLOG.

The Anderson's said...

Way to go Mindy! I know the method that I chose to secure up my blog was the best thing I could come up with considering I don't have a very imaginative mind. I thought about the whole private thing, but I figured that I hate it when I finally find someone from the past and I can't get into their blog. I need to become a better blogger as it is, so maybe this will be my end of the year resolution!

Jamie said...

Amen! I agree with ya! I just have to say that I am glad that I found you again through the blogging world! You're awesome!